Saturday, September 5, 2009

My student's places




































































































I incorporated the "Deep Map" assignment into my sophomore English class and I wanted to share what they have come up with so far. I worried that my students would look at me quizzically when I gave them the assignment, but they dove right in and I have really enjoyed looking at them!

We are currently reading The Freedom Writer's Diary and so after giving them their books, I also gave them journals just like Erin Gruwell did (Thanks Office Depot for selling them to me for $1 a piece!). I have told them I want them to follow the lead of the Freedom Writer's and start writing. There is some reluctance there, many of them are only writing for the grade, but my hope is the journal will be there for them in a time of need.
They are using the images and places on their Deep Maps to write their "I am from" poems. I am interested to see if this assignment pushes them a little further in this poem than they have done in the past.

After completing a "Coat of Arms" (this comes out of the Freedom Writer's teacher's guide) which identifies some parts of their current identity, I gave them the Deep Map assignment and told them to identify the places that shaped their identity as they see it today. I am not sure how well you will be able to see these through the pictures, but here goes!
















No comments:

Post a Comment